JACKSON, Wyo. — Riot Act, Inc. is accepting submissions to its popular playwriter series highlighting the work of new and upcoming writers.
The New Play Festival playwrighting competition is now open. Three one-act plays will be selected for production during Riot Act’s Annual Series of Shorts in September 2020. Each of the three playwrights whose plays are selected for production will receive an honorarium.
The first-place winner will receive $200 and the Marius P. Hanford IV Award. Marius was a longtime stage combat choreographer influential in several theater communities, including Jackson and New York.
The second place will receive $100, and third place will be awarded $50.
Riot Act, Inc. will also host an optional playwrighting workshop lead by Charley Daveler, last year’s winner for the submission To Waste. This workshop will run once weekly for six weeks starting in May. Tuition for the workshop is $100 per person and includes registration fee for the competition. While offering tips on how to write a play, the workshop will also offer a chance for evaluation and feedback on plays in progress. The workshop will be offered virtually via Zoom.
The contest opens on May 15 with final entries due by July 15. Winners will be notified by July 31, 2020. Judges for this competition include theatre and writing professionals. All contributing playwrights will receive brief comments through a standardized critique form from a panel judge.
- Entries will be accepted from playwrights residing in the regional area including Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wyoming.
- Plays should run 20-30 minutes total (20 to 30 pages.)
- Plays should require no more than six actors total.
- Set and prop concepts should be simple and must be easily broken down and moved. No more than 1 set change or 2 sets total allowed.
- Plays must have not been previously published or produced within the past 5 years or in any of the resident states. Plays previously submitted but not produced may be resubmitted if reworked based on commentary received in previous years.
Questions? Email Riot Act.
8570 CREEK CROSSING LP Jackson
13 W DOGWOOD STREET Victor
8575 PORTER LOOP Jackson
330 E GILL AVE Jackson
56 RAMMELL RD Victor
Get Today's News Today
Sign up for our Buckrail Daily Newsletter to get today's top local news stories delivered to your inbox.