JACKSON, Wyo. — With the arrival of the 2021/22 school year for Teton County School District #1, the Town of Jackson (TOJ) and the Jackson Police Department (JPD) are reminding motorists to be extra alert during this time of year.
“It is an exciting time for children, especially children who will be attending school for the very first time. Unfortunately, this also means that young, inexperienced children are in the traffic mix walking along the side of roads and waiting for buses,” said TOJ in a press release.
Motorists are asked to drive cautiously and allow themselves plenty of time to get to their destinations especially at times children will be getting on or off school buses. Jackson Police will be enforcing speed limits and school bus passing violations in and around school areas and where children are being picked up and dropped off. The safety of children, cyclists, and motorists is a top priority for the police department.
“Please watch carefully for children near school buildings, in areas where school buses are traveling, and where there are signs for school zones and bus stops. Remember, if you are approaching a school bus from either the front or behind, and its yellow lights are flashing, the bus is preparing to stop. If the buses red lights are flashing you must stop.”
Motorists can help reduce risk to children going to and from school by:
- Slowing down in school and residential areas
- Watching for clues that give warning of children in the area (bicycles, crossing guards, school busses)
- Obeying all traffic signs/symbols
- Avoiding school zones, if possible, during arrival and dismissal hours
- Clearing any frost, fog or snow from windows before driving
Parents are encouraged to instruct their children about safe crossing practices before the opening of the school year including using sidewalks, crosswalks, and designated school crossings whenever possible.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians:
- Always walk on the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk and you have to walk in the road, always walk facing traffic
- Wear bright-colored clothing to increase visibility
- Cross only at corners or marked crosswalks
- Stop at the curb or the edge of the road
- Walk in groups, there is safety in numbers. Drivers are more likely to see groups of people
- Before crossing the street, stop and look left, then right, then left again
- If you see a car, wait until it goes by. Then look left, right and left again until no cars are coming
Safety Tips for Bicyclists:
- Wear a helmet
- Be sure to have reflectors on your pedals, frame, and wheels
- Be Seen – Be Aware – Be Predictable
- Follow the Rules of the Road
About The Author
Buckrail @ Caroline
Caroline Chapman is a Community News Reporter who recently made Jackson home. Born and raised in Connecticut, she enjoys reading non-fiction, skiing, hiking, and playing piano in her downtime. She is most passionate about delivering and pursuing stories that directly impact the lives of individuals in the community. Her favorite aspect about living in Jackson is the genuine admiration that Wyomingites share for the land and the life that it sustains.
785 W BROADWAY Jackson
10575 OLD JACKSON HIGHWAY Victor
486 SOUTH PINE ST Pinedale
935 SENECA LANE Jackson
7 JACK PINE DRIVE Jackson
Get Today's News Today
Sign up for our Buckrail Daily Newsletter to get today's top local news stories delivered to your inbox.