JACKSON, Wyo. — Teton County health officials said today they believe community transmission has caused at least one case of COVID-19 locally.
The Wyoming Department of Health’s investigation into the county’s third case, announced last night, suggests community spread is happening here. The Teton County Health Department was also notified of two additional positive tests completed by private labs today, bringing the total case count to five. Details on these new cases are not yet available.
Community transmission is defined as having more than one case in a community that are not linked and the source of infection is unknown.
As testing becomes more widely available, more cases can be expected.
The follow up the two new cases is ongoing. People who may have had close contact with a person who tests positive for COVID-19 are identified and contacted by the Wyoming Department of Health. Contract tracing is important as it helps to stop transmission of the virus in the community through early identification and prompt quarantine or isolation of potentially exposed individuals. Currently, the patient (case three) has been ordered to be in isolation and is recovering at home. All family members are quarantined at home.
The Teton County Health Department wants to remind all Teton County, WY residents:
- To stay home when sick and to avoid contact with others unless you need to seek medical attention.
- Individuals with a fever, cough or influenza-like illness, regardless of travel history should call the St. John’s Health hotline at 307-739-4898 options 3 for a phone evaluation. If you are having a true medical emergency, please call 911.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces such as doorknobs, light switches, counter tops, faucets, sinks, phones, keypads, etc.
- Follow advice from the CDC on how to protect yourself.
00 RIVERSIDE SUBDIVISION RD Pinedale
6300 PAINTBRUSH TRAIL Jackson
56 RAMMELL RD Victor
4445 BERRY DRIVE 3522 Wilson
000 BLM SUBDIVISION ROAD Pinedale
Get Today's News Today
Sign up for our Buckrail Daily Newsletter to get today's top local news stories delivered to your inbox.