TETON COUNTY, Wyo. — The Teton County Board of County Commissioners approved a resolution implementing a partial fire closure for the unincorporated areas of Teton County during their regular meeting on July 6.
Jackson Hole Fire/EMS Fire Chief and Teton County Fire Warden Brady Hansen requested the partial fire ban. During the meeting, Hansen cited surrounding counties also going into partial fire bans. As of July 7, 17 of 23 Wyoming Counties will be under fire restrictions.
In the staff report, Hansen identified the risk factors, including, “local resources have been drawn down to preparedness level four due to other fires outside of our area.” The long-term forecast is calling for more hot/dry weather.
The partial fire closure goes into effect today, July 7. Open fires are prohibited on all public and price lands.
- Trash or refuse fires are permitted between the hours of 6 p.m. and 8 a.m., inside containers with maximum ¼ inch screen spark arresters and located within a cleared area 15 feet in radius.
- Campfires contained within an established fire ring at an established campground are permitted located within a minimum of 15 feet cleared radius of burnable materials.
- Charcoal fires within enclosed grills are permitted.
- Use of acetylene cutting torches, electric arc welders, or metal grinding in cleared areas of 15 feet in radius is permitted.
- The use of portable stoves, lanterns using gas, jellied petroleum, pressurized liquid fuel or fully enclosed (sheepherder type) stove and open fire branding activities in cleared areas 15 feet in radius are permitted.
- Use of home fire pits and bowls are permitted, so long as used with maximum ¼ inch screen spark arresters.
According to the resolution, violations constitute a misdemeanor under Wyoming law, which includes a $100 fine or imprisonment in the county jail not to exceed 30 days or both the fine and imprisonment.
About The Author
Buckrail @ Lindsay
Lindsay Vallen is a Community News Reporter covering a little bit of everything; with an interest in politics, wildlife, and amplifying community voices. Originally from the east coast, Lindsay has called Wilson, Wyoming home since 2017. In her free time, she enjoys snowboarding, hiking, cooking, and completing the Jackson Hole Daily crosswords.
1775 N MOOSE WILSON ROAD Wilson
10575 OLD JACKSON HIGHWAY Victor
701 RODEO DRIVE Jackson
4477 HEADS UP RD Tetonia
17845 OLD RANCH ROAD Jackson
Get Today's News Today
Sign up for our Buckrail Daily Newsletter to get today's top local news stories delivered to your inbox.