Yellowstone campgrounds switching to reservation system this month

JACKSON, Wyo. — Yellowstone National Park (YNP) said today that visitors will need to make advanced reservations at three additional campgrounds in the park, eliminating most of the first-come, first-served system that has been in place at these campgrounds.

Campgrounds that will change from first-come, first-served to the advance reservation system are Mammoth, Slough Creek, and a portion of Pebble Creek. Two campgrounds, Mammoth and Slough Creek, will require 100% reservations during the busy summer months. Pebble Creek will have reservations available for 60% of the sites, while the other 40% will remain on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Reservations will go live on Recreation.gov starting March 24 at 8 a.m. Mountain Standard Time. Visitors will be able to book campsites up to six months in advance. Campgrounds are expected to fill quickly once sites are made available.

The park says that the new system is a direct response to public requests for a reservation system at park campgrounds, and prompted a collaborative effort between the National Park Service (NPS) and Recreation.gov.

Yellowstone National Park says the ability to make reservations will enable visitors to plan their trips ahead of time and provide assurance that they will have a campsite upon arrival, and will enrich the visitor experience by reducing traffic congestion at campgrounds, improving safety, and eliminate uncertainty and frustration.

Grand Teton Lodge Company, working with the National Forest and Park Services, announced their switch to a campground reservation system back in January.

About half (41%) of Yellowstone’s campsites managed by the NPS will be placed on the reservation system and the rest will remain first-come, first-served. For visitors who arrive without reservations, the park will have two and a half campgrounds operating on a first-come, first- served basis. However, reservations (where available) are highly encouraged since campgrounds fill each day, often before noon.

Advance reservations are currently available at Bridge Bay, Madison, Canyon, and Grant Village campgrounds, and Fishing Bridge RV Park. To reserve campsites at these campgrounds that are managed by Yellowstone National Park Lodges, visit Yellowstone National Park Lodges.

Fees at the campgrounds below will increase by $5.00 to cover the Recreation.gov processing fee.

About The Author

Buckrail @ Jacob

Jacob Gore was born and raised in Cheyenne, the capital city of Wyoming. As a proud Wyomingite, he loves to share his home with visitors from around the world. Spending years in Jackson and Alaska as an interpretive nature guide, he remains a photographer, traveler, storyteller, and avid hobbyist of all-things outdoors. Jacob enjoys bridging the connection between Jackson and the rest of the state.

You May Also Like
Community
Recycling Center now charging fees for disposal of bear spray and fuel canisters
National Park
SNAPPED: Yellowstone National Park testing new electric vehicles
Associated Press
Yellowstone officials work to remove invasive fish species
National Park
Yellowstone announces three major road projects in 2021
Associated Press
After fewer bison left Yellowstone, population set to grow
National Park
Yellowstone roads open for cycling