PINEDALE, Wyo. — Sublette County Unified Fire Battalions 1 and 4 responded to a camper trailer on fire at a residence on Highway 191 south of Pinedale last Thursday, March 26.
The batteries of the trailer were being charged by a solar panel and had caught on fire. There were two five-pound propane bottles next to the batteries that had reached a temperature of 300 degrees as measured with a thermal imager by the time the first engine was on scene.
Firefighters were able to pull the hose and apply water within 45 seconds of arrival, extinguishing the fire and cooling the tanks before they had a chance to explode. The solar panel was disconnected and placed out of the sun so that it would stop producing electricity.
It is important to remember that solar panels will continue to produce electricity any time they are receiving light. Due to the quick response, no fire made it into the inside of the camper.
On the same day, SCUF also responded to a single-vehicle rollover near Bondurant, on Highway 191. The vehicle was southbound on dry roads when it departed the right side of the road, struck a snowbank and rolled. SCUF units from Battalions 3 and 5 responded in addition to Sublette County EMS and Wyoming Highway Patrol.
The only occupant, the driver, remained in the vehicle during the rollover by wearing their seatbelt and didn’t appear to have any injuries at the time of the incident. The driver also signed a patient refusal for additional medical service.
LOT 30 SNAKE RIVER DR ALPINE
17765 N FOREST WAY Jackson
1775 N MOOSE WILSON ROAD Wilson
1655 W BIG TRAIL Jackson
9470 EDGEWOOD LANE Victor
Get Today's News Today
Sign up for our Buckrail Daily Newsletter to get today's top local news stories delivered to your inbox.