Snow King fire caused by electrical wire

JACKSON, Wyo. — A small brush fire that sparked on Snow King Mountain Sunday afternoon was caused by a faulty electrical wire, officials ruled.

An investigation determined that a wire short-circuited and caused the brush to spark, according to a press release from Teton County. The wire has since been addressed by Snow King Mountain Resort, the press release said.

The fire was called in at around 4:15 p.m. Sunday, July 18. Thanks to a swift response from multiple units, crews were able to catch it before it got out of control and became a serious threat, as was almost the case in 2019 when two wildland fires sparked right in town. The fire reached a quarter acre in size.

Record high temperatures and extremely dry conditions have made the valley vulnerable to fire. Any source of heat can become an ignition source, and Jackson Hole Fire/EMS said it wants the public to be mindful of extension chords, outdoor lighting, outdoor cooking equipment, and any other outdoor sources of heat for possible issues.

*Correction: An earlier version of this article said Snow King Resort fixed the wire; Snow King Resort is separate from Snow King Mountain Resort. The article has been updated. 

About The Author

Buckrail @ Shannon

Shannon is a Wyoming-raised writer and reporter pursuing a master's in journalism at Boston University. Jackson shaped her into an outdoorswoman, but a love for language and the human condition compels her to write. She believes there's no story too small to tell nor adventure too small to take.

You May Also Like
News
Crews work to suppress Pass Creek fire
Community
Helicopter activity over Snow King scheduled to end Friday
Fire
Fire danger increases to high
SNAPPED
SNAPPED: New Snow King gondola base finds home at former Summit Lift
Community
PAWS team member sent to Caldor wildfire to assist pets
Fire
Fire danger to lower to moderate, stage 1 fire restrictions lifted, tomorrow Aug. 26