SCUF: Carbon monoxide detector may have saved the day

SUBLETTE COUNTY, WYO – Sometimes the best news story is the one that isn’t.

On January 2 at 1:31am Sublette County Unified Fire Battalion 1 (Pinedale) was dispatched to a report of a carbon monoxide detector going off in a residential structure. Unified firefighters responded and investigated the residence using a handheld four-gas detector. The firefighters were able to identify a gas fired furnace as the probable cause of the carbon monoxide leak.

The residents of the structure made the decision to spend the rest of the night somewhere else and have a HVAC technician look at the furnace the next day.

Sublette County Unified Fire reminds anyone with natural gas or propane appliances to make sure they have working carbon monoxide detectors in their home. Because this family had working detectors they were able to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning and get the source of the carbon monoxide fixed quickly.

If you have questions about how to properly install a carbon monoxide or smoke detector please call Sublette County Unified Fire at 367-4550.

In response to the growing need for new volunteer firefighters, Sublette County Unified Fire has initiated a recruitment campaign for interested people to learn how to join the fire department and serve their community. Sublette County Unified Fire is comprised of over 100 volunteer firefighters that staff six fire stations in Pinedale, Big Piney/Marbleton, Bondurant, Boulder, Daniel, and Kendall Valley. It doesn’t matter where you live in the county, there is a Sublette County Unified Fire Battalion near you. The fire department needs volunteer firefighters of all ages, all physical ability levels, all backgrounds, and all experience levels.

 

You May Also Like
Sublette Fire offering free smoke alarms thanks to generous donation
Sublette County Unified Fire responds to truck crash in the Jonah
Just why is the world’s most famous geyser so Faithful?
Moose, sheep like to lick…you really shouldn’t let them
Steamboat Geyser’s 30th eruption in 2018 is a record
Dining musical chairs in downtown Jackson