JACKSON, Wyo. — Hot dogs stuffed with Ibuprofen were found in May Park this morning, As of 11 a.m. this morning, at least two dogs have consumed hot dogs laced with Ibuprofen.
According to Jackson Police Department Lieutenant Russ Ruschill, JPD was dispatched for service at 7:50 a.m. to the north side of May Park. The reporting party found a 200 mg ibuprofen tablet inside a piece of a hot dog while walking their golden retriever. Some of the hot dog pieces also had birdseed covering them.
The three-year-old golden retriever, Dewey, was rushed to the vet and found to have ingested three 200 mg ibuprofen tablets, a lethal dose for a dog of that size. According to Med Vet for Pets, a single 200 mg pill given to a dog less than 40lbs can be fatal.
Ibuprofen causes kidney failure in dogs. Symptoms include vomiting, increased or decreased drinking and urination, dark tarry stools, yellow discoloration of the skin and mucous membranes, agitation, tremors, seizures, and coma.
JPD officers canvased the park and found more hot dogs laced with ibuprofen. They are also canvassing other areas in town. “At this time, there has been no other evidence of this activity beyond May Park,” said Ruschill.
“Please do not take your dog to May Park. If you have taken your dog to May Park in the last 24 hours be mindful of the symptoms listed below and monitor your dog. Contact your vet immediately if you observe any symptoms,” announced JPD in a press release.
JPD is asking for the community to assist in the investigation and report suspicious activity in May Park from dusk last night to dawn this morning. Residents in the vicinity of the park with doorbell cameras are being asked to share the footage with detectives.
According to the reporting party, last evening they took Dewey on a walk in the same area. The hot dogs had not been scattered yet.
A similar case unfolded last week in eastern Idaho. Hot dogs stuffed with Ibuprofen were found at popular hiking trails. Bannock County Sheriff’s Office is investigating. There have been three injury reports and at least one dog death that is under investigation.
“The only thing that I can say connects them [the two cases] is a hot dog and ibuprofen, but it could be copycat,” said Ruschill.
May Park has been identified as a potential location for an off-leash dog park. This past summer, the Parks and Rec Department held an open house to present an off-leash dog park in May Park. In October, the Parks and Rec Department voted to pause further development of an off-leash dog park in May Park.
Ruschill wouldn’t say definitively whether the dog park controversy is related, “All aspects are on the table at this time. We wouldn’t eliminate anyone at this time.”
Editors note: This article has been updated with information regarding a second dog affected by the laced hot dogs and a quote from JPD warning dog owners about May Park.