JACKSON HOLE, WYO – Just remember: Sundays are for ‘sled hockey.’
Teton Adaptive Sports (TAS) Sled Hockey & Adaptive Skating Program begins this Sunday. Join TAS for eight Sunday sessions of sled hockey and skating for local kids of all ages at Snow King Events Center in Jackson Hole starting Sunday, Nov. 4.
USA Hockey is covering the ice time; Teton Adaptive Sports is bringing the sleds, gear and expertise; and the amazing Jackson Hole Moose Hockey Team is donating their time to assist, coach and monitor safety.
According to USA Hockey, sled (sledge as it’s referred to outside the United States) hockey was invented at a Stockholm, Sweden rehabilitation center in the early 1960s by a group of Swedes who wanted to continue playing hockey despite their physical disabilities.
Sled hockey follows most of the typical ice hockey rules with the exception some of the equipment. Players sit in specially designed sleds that sit on top of two hockey skate blades. There are two sticks for each player instead of one, and the sticks have metal picks on the butt end for players to propel themselves. Goalies wear basically the same equipment but do make modifications to the glove. Metal picks are sewn into the backside to allow the goalie to maneuver.
Need to know:
- TAS will provide sleds, sticks, pucks, and helmets.
- Please dress in layers, wear hiking shoes (or skates, if you have), and warm gloves.
- Snow King Sports & Events Center is at 100 E Snow King Ave, Jackson, Wyo.
TAS Sled Hockey Sundays are:
- November 4, 2018 from 1:45 – 3:15pm
- November 18, 2018 from 1:45 – 3:15pm
- November 25, 2018 from 1:45 – 3:15pm
- December 30, 2018 from 1:45 – 3:15pm
- January 13, 2019 from 1:45 – 3:15pm
- January 27, 2019 from 1:45 – 3:15pm
- February 17, 2019 from 1:45 – 3:15pm
- March 3, 2019 from 1:45 – 3:15pm
You must RSVP for each session to Cherene Vanian.
3070 N WHITE PINE LANE Jackson
7875 N GRANITE RIDGE RD Teton Village
330 E GILL AVE Jackson
8580 CREEK CROSSING LP Jackson
3923 N LONG VIEW LANE Jackson
Get Today's News Today
Sign up for our Buckrail Daily Newsletter to get today's top local news stories delivered to your inbox.