WYOMING – The US Capitol Christmas Tree will be making its way through the Great State of Wyoming this month. Beginning November 16, the large Christmas icon will make several short stops along the way to allow for public viewing before arriving in Washington, D.C. on November 26. Followers can track the tree in real time via SkyBitz.
Sometimes called the “People’s Tree,” the Capitol Christmas Tree has been a tradition for more than 50 years, with a different state participating each year. This year, an 80-foot-tall Noble Fir was harvested from the Willamette National Forest in Oregon. It began the long journey to Washington, DC on November 2. The tree signifies the 175th anniversary of the Oregon Trail by utilizing a reverse route of the famous westward trek.
The tree will travel by truck on its 3,000-mile adventure with the assistance from law enforcement escorts. In Wyoming, the Capitol Christmas Tree will be stopping at the Ft. Bridger Historic Site on November 17 from approximately 9-10am before continuing to Laramie, Wyoming.
The tree will be displayed at the Wyoming Territorial Prison in Laramie on November 18 at 9am and will depart at 10am, headed for Nebraska. Several guest speakers will be in attendance at the Wyoming Territorial Prison, including the Laramie Mayor Andi Summerville and Laramie Parks Director Todd Feezer.
Various agencies are assisting with the escort and security of the tree during the journey. In Wyoming, these agencies include the US Park Service, Wyoming Highway Patrol, Wyoming State Parks, Evanston and Laramie Police Departments as well as Uinta and Albany County Sheriff’s Offices.
The US Capitol Christmas Tree was last harvested in Wyoming from the Bridger-Teton National Forest in 2010. It remains the only time the Capitol Christmas Tree has come from Wyoming.
Host communities include:
- Friday, Nov. 9: Sweet Home High School, 1641 Long St, Sweet Home, OR 97386 (12:00 p.m. Street Fair, 6:00 p.m. Parade and 7:30 p.m. Program) ( Learn more)
- Saturday, Nov. 10: Linn County Circuit Court, 300 SW Fourth Avenue, Albany, OR 97321 (9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.) (Learn more)
- Saturday, Nov. 10: Cabela’s, 2800 Gateway Street, Springfield, OR 97477 (4:00 – 5:30 p.m.) (Learn more)
- Sunday, Nov. 11: Tokatee Golf Club, 54947 McKenzie Hwy, McKenzie Bridge, OR 97413 (10:30 – 11:30 a.m.)
- Sunday, Nov. 11: 48257 E. 1st , Oakridge, OR 97463 (2:30 – 4:30 p.m.) (Learn more)
- Monday, Nov. 12: 450 SW Powerhouse Dr., Ste 422, Bend, OR 97702 (11:00- 1:00 p.m.) (Learn more)
- Monday, Nov. 12: 160 Detroit Ave, Detroit, OR 97342 (5:00 – 7:00 p.m.)
- Tuesday, Nov. 13: Oregon State Capitol, 900 Court St NE, Salem, OR 97301(10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.) (Learn more)
- Tuesday, Nov. 13: Oregon City, OR, 1726 Washington St. Oregon City, OR 97045 (5:00 – 6:30 p.m.) (Learn more)
- Wednesday, Nov. 14: The Dalles City Hall, 313 Court Street, The Dalles, Oregon 97058 (9:00 – 10:00 a.m.) (Learn more)
- Wednesday, Nov. 14: 2101 Main Street, Baker City, OR 97814 (5:30-6:30 p.m.) (Learn more)
- Friday, Nov. 16: City Hall, 911 North 7th Avenue, Pocatello, ID 83201 (9:00 – 10:00 a.m.)
- Friday, Nov. 16: City Park, 51 E 2nd S, Soda Springs, ID 83276 (12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. (Learn more)
- Saturday, Nov. 17: Ft. Bridger State Historic Site, 37001 Business Loop I-80 Fort Bridger, WY 82933 (9:00 – 10:00 a.m.) (Learn more)
- Sunday, Nov. 18: Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site, 975 Snowy Range Road, Laramie, WY 82070 (9:00 – 10:00 a.m.) (Learn more)
- Sunday, Nov. 18: Scottsbluff, NE including parade route from 23rd St. to 17th Street on Broadway and ceremony on the 1700 block of Broadway (6:00-7:00 p.m.) (Learn more)
- Monday, Nov. 19: Otoe County Courthouse, 110 South 11th, Nebraska City, NE 68410 (6:00 – 7:00 p.m.) (Learn more)
- Tuesday, Nov. 20: Perry – Lecompton Middle School, 408 Lecompton Rd, Perry, KS 66073 (12:00 – 2:00 p.m.) (Learn more)
- Tuesday, Nov. 20: Union Station, 30 W. Pershing Road, Kansas City, MO 64108 (3:00 – 5:00 p.m.) (Learn more)
- Wednesday, Nov. 21: Independence Uptown Market, 211 W. Truman Rd, Independence, MO 64050 (9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.) (Learn more)
- Thursday, Nov. 22: 2018 Ameren Thanksgiving Day Parade, 7th Street and Market Street, St. Louis, MO (8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.) (Learn more)
- Friday, Nov. 23: City of Harrison, 100 Harrison Avenue, Harrison, OH 45030 (4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.) (Learn more)
- Sunday, Nov. 25: Andrews Air Force Base, 1500 Perimeter Rd. Joint Base Andrews, MD (11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.)
*The locations of stops are subject to change. All times are approximate and do not account for unforeseen weather and traffic delays.
275 N BAR Y RD Jackson
8570 CREEK CROSSING LP Jackson
180 N CENTER STREET Jackson
7875 N GRANITE RIDGE RD Teton Village
199 E PEARL AVE, 301 Jackson
Get Today's News Today
Sign up for our Buckrail Daily Newsletter to get today's top local news stories delivered to your inbox.