JACKSON, Wyo. — The Jackson Hole Ski & Snowboard Club decided yesterday to cancel the FCExcavation Jacskon Hole Downhill, scheduled for March 13-15.
The decision happened on the same day town and county officials elected to cancel three major spring events to help slow the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
JHSC executive staff attended the joint information session of the Teton County Commissioners and the Jackson Town Council and listened to the considerations of local health care professionals, emergency response teams, and local officials. The clear recommendation from all involved, as indicated by the cancellation of major events to be hosted later in March, was to do anything we can as a community to limit travel and social interactions.
The new format of the race had twelve teams committed featuring at least a dozen current and former World Cup racers, additional professional skiers, top juniors, and solid masters racers from Jackson and beyond. Evening parties were scheduled at Bar Enoteca and the Alpenhof Lodge as well as a Champions Banquet at Hotel Terra.
“This is incredibly disappointing since the positive buzz was so overwhelming and we had redesigned and built such an exciting event that we were all looking forward to,” said JHSC Executive Director, Brian Krill. “The Club will carry this momentum into next year, as all involved have indicated that they will be back. Right now we have to be a leader in our local and regional community, and beyond, and make sure that we put public health above all else.”
In making this difficult decision, JHSC considered the following precedents:
- The Town of Jackson and Teton County’s decision to cancel major events in March
- Cancellation of all FIS World Cup events
- Cancellation of all U.S. Ski and Snowboard events as of Monday March 16 including the Western Region Alpine
- Championships, which JHSC was scheduled to host
- Cancellation of the IFSA competition this weekend in Snowbird, UT
- Cancellation of the IMD Championships in Bogus Basin, ID
- Cancellation of the NCAA, NBA, and other major sporting events around the country
- U.S. Ski and Snowboard Cross Country Junior Nationals were cut short
Coombs Outdoors also announced yesterday that CoombsFest, scheduled for Saturday, has been canceled.