It’s official: Jackson Drug coming back to Square
JACKSON HOLE, WYO – Jackson Drug will return to its old location on the northwest corner of the town square in the space most recently occupied by Davies Reid.
The corner drugstore located at 15 E Deloney was more famous for its soda fountain than pharmacy back in the day. It was built by Robert “Bruce” Porter in 1937 but traces its history back to 1919.
The building was sold to Steve Schultz and Charlie Gaudet in 1978. They continued to operate Jackson Drug until 2001, when they sold the building to Sharon Davies and Terry Reid who opened a rug store.
Porter’s grandson, Robert Gill, brought the building back into the family portfolio when he purchased the building back in 2010. Gill began considering and then making plans to return Jackson Drug back to the square when Davies Reid owners decided not to renew their lease in 2017.
According to Nikki Gill (Robert Gill’s daughter and listed as the project’s applicant), the plan is to bring back the old soda fountain and mercantile.
Remodel on the main floor will accommodate a kitchen, dining room, and mercantile. The original soda fountain counter will remain exactly where it still is, and will function just as it did throughout its 82 years as a food service counter.
“We plan to apply for a restaurant liquor license in order to serve beer, wine, and cocktails. Our menu will be simple, featuring all the Jackson Drug classics—soups, sandwiches, ice cream, milkshakes and malts—with the addition of local, Jackson Hole Hereford Ranch burgers and French fries,” Gill stated. “It will be an affordable, local, and family friendly restaurant that will also attract many a Jackson tourist.”