JACKSON, Wyo. – The Jackson Hole Babe Force (JHBF), announced the launch of the 2019-20 Scholarship program. Babe Force is a nonprofit dedicated to empowering all women to seek adventure in the mountains.
This year, JHBF is maximizing scholarship opportunities through creative collaboration with several community organizations on the 2019-20 offerings, including Teton County Search and Rescue and Coombs Outdoors.
“We feel fortunate to be leveraging the power of partnerships with our 2019-20 scholarship opportunities,” said Laurie Stern, JHBF board member “It has been incredible to see the impact that we can have when we work together. We believe that this scholarship cycle will be the most dynamic and productive series for JHBF yet.”
The JHBF launched its scholarship program in 2015 to provide women with financial assistance and encouragement to participate in education and training that will help them become smarter, stronger, and more confident in the mountains. In its first year, the scholarship program provided two women with funds to complete avalanche education courses.
For the past four years, JHBF has held a Kentucky Derby Spring Fling that raises money through ticket sales, raffle, and a silent auction, 100% of which goes to the Scholarship Fund. In the spring of 2019, JHBF raised just over $14,000 to provide financial assistance to women who are hoping to acquire avalanche and snow safety education, to gain confidence and skills in the mountains through women-specific camps and clinics, or to offset costs associated with adventure travel.
Funds for the JHBF scholarship program are also raised through donations accepted during the organization’s year-round programming, with the majority of funds raised at the annual spring fundraiser.
Since 2015, the program has grown significantly, with the 2018-19 cycle providing scholarships for 28 women. In total, the JHBF has awarded scholarships to 60 female recipients who have used the funds to get out of their personal comfort zones and become smarter, stronger, and more confident in the mountains.
The 2019-20 scholarship categories are as follows:
- Avalanche Level I Course: Recipients of this scholarship will receive a fully paid spot in an Avalanche Level 1 course through the Avalanche Institute of America (AAI). There will be a total of 12 scholarships awarded, resulting in a full, all-women Jackson Hole Babe Force Avalanche 1 course held in Jackson, Wyoming on March 20-23, 2020.
- Choose Your Own Education: The Jackson Hole Babe Force and Teton County Search and Rescue Foundation (TCSAR) are teaming up on this “Choose Your Own Education” scholarship. This is an open-ended scholarship offering: Applicants choose what course, class, or other educational seminar they want to participate in, and the scholarship pays for it. The funding provided by this program and the number of scholarships awarded is dependent on the applications received
- Choose Your Own Adventure: The most open-ended JHBF scholarship offering: the proposed “adventure” can be almost anything that aligns with the Jackson Hole Babe Force’s values: pushing comfort zones, trying new things, and becoming more knowledgeable and confident in the mountains. The funding provided by this program and the number of scholarships awarded is dependent upon the applications received.
- Rad Mom Gathering: This is an opportunity for the moms out there to take a day for themselves and connect with other women while advancing their skiing abilities in a safe and fun environment. This application is for a day of skiing with Crystal Wright and four “Rad Mom” scholarship recipients on Sunday, January 19, 2020. This scholarship is presented in partnership with Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. There will be a total of 4 scholarships awarded in this category.
- Arc’teryx Academy: Arc’teryx and JHBF are partnering on this scholarship which provides a fully paid spot in the Arc’teryx Academy on February 6 – 9, 2020. This scholarship is a unique opportunity to learn advanced winter backcountry skills. The program consists of an intro to ski mountaineering course, a half-day of crevasse rescue training, and a day-long guided tour in Grand Teton National Park. Courses and training are held at Snow King or in GTNP. There will be one scholarship awarded in this category.
- Fall Line Camp: This one’s for the girls (ages 12 to 17). This application is for a spot in Jackson Hole Mountain Resort’s Fall Line Camp during the winter of 2019-20 (dates TBD). Coombs Outdoors and Jackson Hole Mountain Resort are partnering in presenting this scholarship. Recipients of this scholarship will receive a fully paid spot in Fall Line Camp, a one-of-a-kind ski and snowboard camp that provides attendees with three days of skill-building and freeriding with the best Mountain Sports School youth coaches at JHMR. There will be two scholarships awarded in this category.
56 RAMMELL RD Victor
3923 LONG VIEW LANE Jackson
785 W BROADWAY Jackson
00 RIVERSIDE SUBDIVISION RD Pinedale
455 SILVER FOX LN Victor
Get Today's News Today
Sign up for our Buckrail Daily Newsletter to get today's top local news stories delivered to your inbox.