YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK — Several roads in Yellowstone National Park will temporarily close to public vehicle traffic this fall.
Beartooth Highway (US-212)
- Oct. 11: Beartooth Highway (US-212) between Red Lodge, Montana, and Cooke City, Montana.
- Visit MT DOT and WYDOT for details.
- Located outside the park’s Northeast Entrance in Cooke City, Montana, the park maintains a section of the highway between Cooke City and the Wyoming/Montana state line.
Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass)
- Weather Dependent: Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass) will remain open through Oct. 31 unless snow accumulates on the roadway and causes it to close sooner.
Most Park Roads
- Nov. 1: Roads include:
- West Entrance to Madison Junction
- Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful
- Norris to Canyon Village
- East Entrance to Lake Village (Sylvan Pass)
- Canyon Village to Lake Village
- South Entrance to West Thumb
- Lake Village to West Thumb
- West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass)
The road between the North Entrance in Gardiner, Montana, and the Northeast Entrance at Cooke City/Silver Gate, Montana (via Mammoth Hot Springs, Tower Junction and Lamar Valley), is open year-round.
However, in June of this year, sections of the road were significantly damaged by floods and closed temporarily. The road between Tower Junction and the Northeast Entrance in Cooke City/Silver Gate, Montana, is expected to open on Oct. 15, 2022, to regular traffic.
The road between the North Entrance and Mammoth Hot Springs will open no later than Nov. 1, 2022, to regular traffic.
The public can stay informed about road conditions in Yellowstone here or by calling (307) 344-2117 for recorded information. To receive Yellowstone road alerts on your mobile phone text “82190” to 888-777.