Ashcan sparks in Teton Village

TETON VILLAGE, WY — The Teton Village Fire Department and Jackson Hole Fire/EMS responded to a call of a structure fire at around 8 p.m. yesterday.

Turns out it was more smoke than fire. Guests staying at a rental cabin on Michael Drive had thrown hot ashes into an ashcan and left the can in the garage. When they tried to pull a car into the garage last night, they found the garage full of smoke.

It wasn’t a huge incident, said Teton Village Fire Chief John Bishop, but it was a good reminder of what not to do with fire. This time of year as people are trading air conditioning for heat, many will fire up their wood stoves. Just make sure the fire’s completely out before you leave it or clean your fireplace.

“We like to remind people that ashes that go in the can are completely extinguished,” Bishop said.

You May Also Like
News
Celebrations up in flames at Rusty Parrot
News
BREAKING: Fire at Rusty Parrot
Police
JPD officers awarded Medals of Bravery
News
Structure fire torches barn
News
Fatal Pinedale fire ruled accidental
News
Victim of Pinedale structure fire identified