WYOMING — US Sen. Mike Enzi announced he will call it quits when his current term ends. He will not seek reelection in 2020. Enzi broke the news today during a press conference in his hometown of Gillette, Wyo.
“So far, I have served in the US Senate for more than 22 years,” Enzi said. ”Diana and I have been in Wyoming most weekends often traveling 500 miles by car each weekend. That means I’ve worked in Washington four days a week and Wyoming three days a week, which uses up all of the week. When we have a recess, which I call a ‘work period,’ Diana and I usually travel around Wyoming some 1,500 miles by car. We are on planes 8 to 14 hours a week. We live out of a suitcase on both ends. I’m not complaining. I chose the job and have always worked at a job and was taught to do a job so well that I would be proud to put my name on it.”
Governor Mark Gordon and First Lady Jennie Gordon sent their deepest appreciation to the Senator and his entire family for their service to Wyoming and the nation.
“Senator Enzi has an ability to blend intelligence, humility and an abiding love of Wyoming into successes for our state and the country as a whole. Though, he would never say it, he has an impressive list of accomplishments that will only grow over the next two years,” said Gov. Gordon. “The Enzis have been good friends to us as they have been to other Wyoming Governors and have always advanced the interests of our state and her people. I especially thank Senator Enzi for his support of entrepreneurship as well as his work to promote more and better jobs throughout Wyoming.”
First Lady Jennie Gordon added, “Mike is a wonderful man who has dedicated his life to our state with dignity and grace. He and Diana are an example we can all draw inspiration from.”
Fellow Senator John Barrasso also expressed accolades for his peer.
“Mike’s character, courage and credibility have made him a respected moral leader in the US Senate. In four terms in the Senate he has never wavered in his commitment to God, family or Wyoming,” Barrasso said. “The Senate and Wyoming will miss the valued leadership of the trusted trail boss of our congressional delegation. Bobbi and I feel privileged to be allowed to serve Wyoming alongside Mike and Diana.”
Even President Trump joined a list of politicians backslapping the outgoing senator. “Mike has been a fantastic Senator!” Trump Tweeted Saturday night.
“For more than four decades, Mike Enzi has devoted himself to serving our state and the country. He never forgot where he came from and always put the interests of Wyoming first, constantly championing our Western way of life,” Rep. Liz Cheney remarked. “I’m privileged to have had the opportunity to work alongside him for the people of Wyoming and am proud to call him a friend. He, his wife Diana, three children and all his grandchildren deserve thanks from a state and nation that is indebted to him for his lifetime of service.”
Enzi said he is not about to coast during his final months in office. He’ll plug away in Washington on things that concern Wyomingites most.
“I have much to get done in the next year and a half. I want to be able to focus on budget reform to get control of our national debt, [follow through on] several small business initiatives, [and continue] protecting and diversifying Wyoming jobs,” Enzi said. “I don’t want to be burdened with the distractions of a campaign. After this term I will find other ways to serve.”
Enzi was sworn in as Wyoming’s 20th United States Senator on January 7, 1997. He has made a name on Capitol Hill for his unique way of breaking down party lines and working across the aisle. Enzi believes that people can agree on 80 percent of the issues 80 percent of the time and if they leave the other 20 percent out they can get a lot done.
By following his “80 percent tool,” Enzi has passed more than 100 bills since he came to Washington, which have been signed by both Democrat and Republican presidents.
Enzi is the Chairman of the Budget Committee and a member of the Finance Committee, Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee and the Joint Committee on Taxation.
CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) — A state lawmaker seeks to raise the minimum age for legal marriage in Wyoming. Wyoming allows… Read More
Following a snow report of 4" on Monday morning and 5" on Tuesday morning, the Rendezvous Bowl plot at Jackson… Read More
WYOMING — With five cases of coronavirus cases now confirmed in the United States and hundreds more being investigated, the… Read More