Burning candles blamed for Forget-Me-Not fire

JACKSON HOLE, Wyo. – An investigation into the cause of the fire that resulted in damage to a bathroom at Forget-Me-Not thrift store last week has concluded the fire likely began accidentally as a result of candle burning in the building.

On Thursday, September 26 emergency services were notified of a structure fire at the Forget-Me-Not Thrift Store at 12:26 pm. The initial 911 caller reported a fire in the back of the building at 410 W. Pearl Ave., with people inside attempting to put the fire out.

Jackson Hole Fire/EMS and Jackson Police Department units responded and found smoke in the structure with store personnel reporting that they believed that they had extinguished the fire with buckets of water. Fire crews observed smoke coming from the rear of the structure through doors and the eaves. Fire personnel entered and found the fire extinguished. Crews then proceeded to check for fire extension in the walls and ceiling, ventilating the building with fans.

Fire damage was contained to the bathroom with smoke damage throughout the store. A fire investigation was initiated and included inspection of the area of origin and witness interviews. The investigator’s report concludes the fire was an accidental fire most probably started from the burning of candles.

Candles should be constantly attended when ignited. Fire Marshal Kathy Clay recommends the use of battery-operated candles in homes and in businesses.

You May Also Like
News
Fire/EMS cleaning up gas spill
Environmental
New fire discovered in Blackrock District
Police
Fire extinguishers helped keep Dornan’s fire to a minimum
Police
#HeadsUp – Fire crews on scene at Forget Me Not Thrift Shop.
News
Fire sparks amid film fest dinner
News
One night, two fires, handful of heroes